Friday, December 02, 2005

The waiting (Is the hardest part)

Desultory notes of interest:

Yes Dear Job Interview:

As of the writing of this entry, Yes Dear is currently on her job interview with Georgia Southern. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's going well, but I really don't' have any idea.

I do know she's not being treated the same as the other candidate who was there Wednesday night and Thursday. For example, no one picked up Yes Dear from our apartment this morning for her interview. The other candidate had someone meet her at the airport and drove her to Statesboro. Also, Yes Dear didn't get a tour of Georgia Southern's campus or of Statesboro. Just because she's been in Statesboro since 1998 is no reason not to give her a tour of the city.

Oddly enough, however, they are giving her a tour of the Recreation Activity Center (or RAC as the kids today are calling it), despite the fact that she's been working there on and off for five years, including the last two as a graduate assistant.

Crazy Party:

Next Friday, my wife is going to a "top off" party. When she told me that, I immediately thought of Brandi Chastain's celebration after winning the 1999 Women's World Cup and asked why the school would hold such a party. (Chastain instantly became the favorite player of millions of teenaged boys who, until that moment, never cared about women's soccer.)It seemed sexist and degrading to ask college gals to walk around without their tops off at a school-sanctioned event.

Then I asked if I could go.

She told me it had something to do with the expansion of the RAC and they were putting up the last beam or something. Really, if you're going to call it a "top off" party and invite college girls, you should really explain that aspect of the party first.

Drive-Thru banking:

So I went to deposit a couple checks at the bank today and rather than get out and actually interact with humans, I figured I'd use the drive-thru. (By the way, I abhor that spelling of "thru," but it's a losing battle and rather than fight that one, I'll save my energy for a much bigger, yet-to-be determined fight.) Little did I know that the SUV two cars ahead of me was going to get advice on how to manage his portfolio from the teller on the other side of the glass.

I must have sat in line for 10 minutes waiting for this jerk to analyze the stock market and call his broker a dozen times. Come on, we're at the drive through. Fill out deposit slip, give it to them and get your receipt. Anything requiring more than two steps by the teller means you should go inside, out of respect for your fellow man (or person, for the overly sensitive, PC crowd.)

I don't think there's a jury in the country that would have convicted me and my fellow motorists if we'd stuffed this guy into the little tube and sent him inside the bank by way of the suction tube. In fact, they might have given us keys to the vault and thanked us for our service to humanity.

Yes Dear Job Update:

As you may recall, Yes Dear interviewed at Appalachian State for a job with their campus recreation department. After leaving the interview, she wasn't real comfortable with the way they were doing some things and about a week later, she withdrew her name from consideration. I think the happiest person to hear about that was my boss. Apparently, he doesn't want me to leave. Granted, there are ways (*cough* $$$ *cough*) he could convey that message to me.

High School Football:

Despite my love of all things college football (including the Division II and Division III playoffs), I really don't care about high school football. For example, my high school is playing in the state championship game tonight in Statesboro and I'm not going.

I had to go cover a pep rally on Thursday for the team (here is where you make fun of my job) and I realized I really didn't care one iota if they won or not. I just wanted the rally to be over to so I could get some quotes for my story and go back to the office.

I may watch it on television, but there's a better chance of me watching some Law & Order reruns. For the sake of the few kids on know on the team, I hope they win, but when it comes down to it, I'll be cheering for Jack McCoy to put the perp away.

Have a great weekend. Be back Monday with another post.