Monday, July 31, 2006

This just in . . .

The mood around el Casa de Martin is somber today as Yes Dear isn't happy with the Cubs right now. Approximately 30 minutes before the trading deadline, the Cubs traded Todd Walker to the San Diego Padres for a minor league pitcher.

Walker wasn't an all-star. He was a solid player for the Cubs and did everything asked of him. He played first base when the team needed him to. He hit anywhere in the lineup he was placed and, as far as I can tell, never complained. Simply put, Walker was an average player for, at this point, a well-below average team.

So why would the mood around here be dejected? Well, Walker was Yes Dear's favorite player. Apparently he is a nice-looking player, earning the nickname around here as "hottie Toddy." But now, Walker is a member of the Padres. When informed of Walker's new digs in San Diego, Yes Dear said "We don't even watch the Padres. Besides, he probably won't look good in that uniform."

But life will go on. The Cubs will continue their quest to stay out of last place and though the magic of satellite television, I'll probably be watching a lot more Padre games now. (Not that watching Padres games would be all bad, I do have one of their pitchers on my fantasy team.)

Fantasy Update: Eva Longoria hasn't left NBA star Tony Parker to be with a mediocre newspaper writer . . . yet. In other fantasy news, the Fighting Squirrels had a good week, going 13-2-1 to extend our lead to 12.5 games over second place in one league. (And you know I'm going to lose in the first round of the playoffs. It's going to suck.) In the other league, I went 5-8-2, but managed to move from sixth place to fifth place thanks to a terrible week from the team ahead of me. Only five weeks remaining until the playoffs start, and I'm hoping to remain in the top six to qualify.

Weekend Update: My weekend started last Wednesday when Yes Dear and I celebrated our three-year anniversary (we had to celebrate a week early due to work conflicts. Hopefully we make it to this Wednesday.) We went to the beach about two hours from here and had a good time. She even beat me at miniature golf. On Saturday, I helped Josh and his wife paint their house and then Sunday I watched baseball and (all together now), did laundry.

Cubs Update: We've actually won six of seven, including the first four-game sweep of St. Louis in Chicago since 1972. To celebrate, Yes Dear broke out the broom and ran around the house.

Next Post: I'm working on another column for the Statesboro Herald, so after that is published, I'll put it up here.