Sunday, January 16, 2005

Feeling 'Dirty' (and not the Christina Aguilera kind)

So I spent most of today doing what any sports fan was doing, I watched the Philadelphia Eagles topple the Vikings and then watched Official Brother's team, the New England Patriots, defeat the Colts 20-3. While neither of these games resulted in an exciting finish, they did have one thing in common . . . there were commercials and network promos galore. I don't think a commercial break went by on FOX that they didn't mention that American Idol was returning this Tuesday or, on CBS, that CSI: New York was coming on tomorrow.

It was the CSI: New York commericals that captured my attention, and not in a good way. First off, I think I'm one of three people in America that doesn't watch any of the CSI franchises on a regular basis. In fact, I've only watched a complete episode of any of them twice and found them to be fairly boring. Anyway, in this particular episode, a guy gets to go on a "ride-along" with a police officer when apparently the officer is shot. After a few twists and turns, one of the characters says "looks like we're dealing with a real life Bonnie and Clyde."

As it turns out, Bonnie and Clyde were real people, not the fictional people CSI: New York was trying to portray them as. So the only fictional Bonnie and Clyde are the two "real life" criminals on the show. Seriously guys, a three minute Google search would have told you more than you wanted to know about the famous fugitives.

Before I begin with my story about the nickname "Dirty," I have to introduce you to a new character not previously mentioned. (Even though it has no relation to the story, here's a free pic of Christina Aguilera)

Captian Kirk: So named because his name is Kirk, he's been one of my best friends since about eighth grade. He's two years older than me and currently married (more on her next) and working as a youth director in the Macon/Warner Robins area. He's got a fantastic sense of humor and a quick wit. Ask him what he's up to, and you're sure to hear "about two bills" (200 pounds).

First Mate: Captian Kirk's wife. I met her in college. She's much to good looking to be married to him. They recently celebrated their first-year anniversary, thought they got married right after New Year's, meaning I'll never get to spend New Year's Day watching football with him because they'll be off celebrating somewhere. If only he'd taken my advice.

Anyway, back in high school, I was a band nerd, (I was in band, I'm allowed to say it), as was Captian Kirk. Neither of use are much for foul language, feeling there are better words to accurate describe our feelings than needing profanity. Plus, it's offensive to some people. So we're practicing a song about a month before we're to perform it in front of judges and I miss a note (I played trumpet). It'd been a long day and I really didn't want to stay after school to practice that day, so I did what most high school students would do, I said s***. Normally this would be a big deal. After all, there's about 80 other people playing the song and I'm sure no one other than those right around me heard it.

Therein was the problem. Our band director was standing over my shoulder. To this day I don't know if he heard me, but Captian Kirk sure did. Having never heard me use profanity (like I said, I don't like it), he looked at me and said "Dirty Luke!" I'm assuming because it was so out of character, the name stuck. For the rest of high school, my friends called me Dirty. Since we both went to the same college, the name stuck for another two years before fading. However, he still calls me "Dirty."

What I'm watching: Desperate Housewives
In my CD Player: Bon Jovi: One Wild Night
On Deck: Why a soon-to-be 26-year-old loves Desperate Housewives