Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Something worth considering

In my continuing quest to become Bill Simmon's intern at ESPN.com, I'll tackle the next question his potential interns had to face:

If you were sent to prison for 30 years, what current NBA player would you want to be your cellmate at a maximum security prison?

At first glance, this seems like an easy one. If you're going to be in prison, you want the meanest, baddest and hardest player in the league to be your close, personal friend (but not that close, after all, 30 years is a long time, and there aren't a whole lot of ladies wandering the hallways or in the yard).

My first instinct is to take Ron Artest. After all, he's got such a hot temper that he'll spend most of his time in the hole, giving me the cell to myself for a good bit of the time. But then I realized that if I ever tossed him is drink without thinking, there's a good chance I'd spend 28 years in the medical wing of the prison. I'm not sure how the prison medical wing works, but I get the feeling the phrase "lowest bidder" is involved, and I would like to walk again when I'm released.

My next thought was to get someone like Grant Hill, you know, sort of soft spoken, intellengent and easy going. We could fashion chess pieces of out stone and spend all our day playing chess and talking about what a failure Christian Latener was when he joined the NBA. However, I think I'd need someone a little tougher to protect me. After all, while 6'1, 190 sounds impressive, when you realize it's mostly Mountain Dew and Wendy's, you need someone looking out for you.

So the key is to find someone with the toughness of Ron Artest with the intelligence of Grant Hill. Shaq lacks the intelligence. Tony Parker lacks the toughness (but gets bonus points for the possibility of having Eva Longoria stop by for a visit).

With all that said, I think the current NBA player I would chose if I had to spend 30 years in prison with would be Tim Duncan. He graduated from Wake Forest, which means he's intelligent, but at the same time, he's battled Shaq in the paint, so he's obviously tough. He's loyal in that I've never heard him complain about his team.

All that said, if somehow I was forced to spend 30 years with a WNBA player, Sue Bird or Lauren Jackson wouldn't be bad choices either.