Monday, March 14, 2005

A look into my fantasy life

Back in my freshman year in college (don't all fantasies start that way?), a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to play fantasy baseball. Not knowing exactly what it was, I asked him to explain it to me before jumping headlong into something.

I quickly learned that fantasy baseball is essentially your chance to play general manager. You draft players to fill the positions and then "compete" against your fellow leaguemates using the statistics of your players. If your guys hit more homeruns that week, you won the category.

Mind you, this was back before Al Gore's Internet had become wildly popular, so our fantasy baseball was done the old fashioned way. We looked up statistics in the box scores and had to keep track by hand. I spent to much money on Baseball Weekly that summer, but I was hooked on the game.

unfortunately, it would be another three years before I played fantasy sports again, this time playing fantasy football (same concept, different sport). This time, leagues on the Internet were gaining popularity, mostly because you didn't have to spend each week trying to compile statistics. The little gnomes that live in the Internet did it for us.

This year, I'll probably spend close to 150 hours devoted to my fantasy sports endeavors, including pre-draft study, drafting, monitoring my teams and random smack talk on the leagues' messageboards. That doesn't count the hours I'll spend watching the games and the highlight shows (Baseball Tonight is the greatest show ever invented.)

Needless to say, Yes Dear isn't entirely thrilled with my fantasy pursuits. I try to tell her that of all the fantasies I may have, this is probably the only one I can live out and still hope to remain married. Although, if I get to wrapped up in how the Boston Red Sox No. 3 pitcher did against the Texas Rangers, there's a good chance the Steel Rabbits may be the only people to keep me company. (Yes Dear hates it when I call them my "fantasy guys," but she hates when I talk about my "fantasy girls" as well. It's a battle I can't win.