Tuesday, March 08, 2005

What, Dustin worry?

I have a policy that I don't complain in either my columns for the Statesboro Herald or in this blog. Sure, I've got plenty to complain about, but it's my belief that you don't want to read about my problems and therefore, I don't write about them.

That's not to say there aren't things that pose difficulties to me. I'm not mechanically inclined, I don't always have a good attitude about things, and I'm a Cubs fan.

But tonight, I met a man who apparently has nothing to complain about.

Allow me to explain.

For dinner, myself, Yes Dear, Parental Units #1 and #2, Official Brother, The Girlfriend and D.C. Brother (formerly the untitled brother, more on his name later) all went to Applebees to celebrate my two brothers' birthdays (one in late February, one in early March). The seven of us are plesent enough people, I think. We're not overbearing, high-strung or difficult to be around.

So we're at dinner and Dustin informs us he'll be taking care of us tonight. (I must have missed the day waiters and waitresses changed from "Hello, I'm Name and I'll be your waiter" to "Hello, I'm Name and I'll be taking care of you tonight." Honestly, I think it's a nice touch.)

Anyway, Dustin is the most carefree person I've ever met. Anything we asked him to do was "No problem." The only thing lacking was the lack of "Flair."

More Cherry Coke? "No problem." Some A-1 sauce? "No problem." A to-go box? "No problem."

It got to the point that Parental Unit #1 and I woud laugh every time we asked him to do something because it was "no problem."

We started wondering if he had massive issues in his personal life and to compensate, gave the apperance at work that he had no problems. However, he seemed genuinely not to be bothered by our requests. It's not like we were his only table. It was fairly crowded at 7:45 on a Tuesday night. Surely a third refill of Sprite would be a problem with other customers to attend to, but no. He was happy to do it.

I expected him to show up with our bill whistling Don't Worry, Be Happy. Unfortunately, no such luck.

D.C. Brother
For years I've struggled to come up with a name for my brother. He was off at school when I first started writing columns, but eventually he came back to Statesboro to look for a job. After about a year, he's heading back to Washington, D.C. to find a job up there. He wants to work for a Congressman or Senator, but at this point, I think he'd be happy doing almost anything. Anyway, because he's going to be living in D.C., from now on he'll be known as D.C. Brother.

Mr. Data, make it so.

On Deck: My connection to B.D. Wong, Ice-T and the rest of Law & Order: SVU