Wednesday, February 09, 2005

No boobs on the Boob Tube

So, like millions of people, (86 million to be exact, according to Neilsonand his media research group) I watched the Super Bowl and it’s fairly entertainingbut nothing special halftime show with Sir Paul McCartney.

I have nothing against Sir Paul and consider myself, if not a fan ofThe Beatles, I’m at least someone who likes their songs. I guess that’s theresult of growing up with Parental Unit and her love of the Fab Four.

(Quick side note: When Parental Unit was a little girl, her father wouldn’tlet her go see “A Hard Day’s Night” when it was playing at their movie theater.However, after it left the theater, he asked her and her sisters why theydidn’t go see it. I can only imagine this is some sort of parental torturetechnique used to show the children who retains the power.)

Anyway, after last year’s halftime (peep) show, the NFL and FOX wentultra-conservative in its choice of halftime entertainment; McCartney seemedlike a safe choice.

Fortunately this year, the FCC showed that it won the battle of boobson the television. (Or, as it’s commonly referred to as, the “boob tube,”but boobs are conspicuously absent from said tube, I don’t understand.)

Unfortunately, the FCC has apparently forgotten that we are in a waron drugs at this time and the song choice of Sir Paul seemed to – if notpromote - at least mention casual drug use.

In “Get Back,” Sir Paul sings about finding some “California Grass” andI don’t think he was referring to a nicely manicured lawn in San Diego.

And “Hey Jude” seems to be an ode to heroin use with lyrics such as “theminute you let her under your skin/ then you begin to make it better.”

Not surprisingly, there’s been more of an outrage that Sir Paul is aBrit singing at a uniquely American event then there has about the drug referenceson broadcast television.

What I’m Watching: Coupling
In my PS2: FIFA Soccer 2005
On Deck: Bobbleheads and my fascination with them