Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Desperate for 'Desperate Housewives'

Sunday night's at 9 p.m., there's only one thing I'll be doing. I'll be enjoying America's latest guilty pleasure Desperate Housewives on ABC. I had a hard time convincing Yes Dear that watching a show about 30-something housewives in suburbia was the best use of my time. Afterall, I'm neither desperate or a housewive, so there's really nothing there I could relate to.

So why do I like it? Well, for one, it's so different from everything else I normally watch on television. Sports, Law & Order, even the reality shows, are all lacking the absurdity and satire that Desperate Housewives brings to the table. What other show starts with a woman killing herself and then serving as the narrator for each episode. There's the former model having an affair with her gardener, the very attractive single mom falling for the new guy on the block who has some secrets of his own. The "June Clever" wife who has to have everything just perfect, so much so that her husband feels trapped in his own home.

More importantly, have you seen the characters on the show.

Teri Hatcher looks better now than she did playing Lois on Lois and Clark in the mid-90s. (On a side note, I saw the rerun of her on Saturday Night Live where she dressed up as David Spade and he dressed up as Hatcher. Ten years later and that skit still makes me laugh).

Watching Marcia Cross makes me wish I watched Melrose Place when she was about 10 years younger. She's a beauty.

And don't get me started on Eva Longoria. Wow. Good times, very good times.

But above all, I like the show because it's an escape from reality for an hour each week. Sure, all the events on the show happen everyday all across America, but they don't happen to me. (ok, sneaking into the home of your rival to spy on her because you think she's sleeping with the guy you have a crush on and then accidently burning her house down only to find out she was sleeping with someone else might not happen every day, but at least twice a week, no?) I'll admit it, I like living vicariously though the characters.

What I'm watching: American Idol
What I'm reading: Sporting News
On Deck: The worst sports talk radio show in America, and it's in my hometown!