Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Ethical delimmas of the poor sports fan

I'm a huge Chicago Cubs fan. Have beensince I was eight and first discovered them on WGN playing in the afternoonwhen I got home from school. What a treat it was to be able to come homefrom long division and get away from the pressures and stresses of thirdgrade and just relax watching a baseball game.

Skip ahead 18 years, and we find me still a Cubs fan, still using baseballas an escape from the everyday grind of life. (only now I don't get recessand have the responsibility of a job. Why is it people want to grow up again?)

Unfortunately, despite having a nice job (you're right, "nice" may be a stretch . . . let's just say I have a job), my income isn't enough to paythe bills AND purchase the attire needed to showcase my fandom. So I have to improvise.

Case in point, the Cubs acquired Nomar Garciaparra lastJuly from the Boston Red Sox. Now I definately don't have the finances to afford every new jersey of every guy the Cubs get, but I've been a fan ofNomar since his rookie year in 1997, and when the Cubs acquired him, I wasecstatic.

Unfortunately, Nomar was a free agent and though the Cubs resigned him to a one-year deal, that's not enough stability for me to plunk donw a cool $120 for a jersey that may be obsolete in a year. So what's a fan to do?

Well, fortunately for me, I've always liked the Red Sox jerseys, andonce Nomar was traded, prices for his Red Sox jerseys were drastically cut, bringing them into my price range. However, Parental Unit has a rule about buying things for yourself after October, she won't allow it. With Christmas only a few months away, she's usually worried that we'll purchase something for ourselves that she's either already bought, or is planning on buying for Christmas.

As it turns out, I didn't get it for Christmas, but for my birthday, Yes Dear got me a Nomar Red Sox jersey.I wear it with my Cubs hat and it all works out nicely. (Unfortunately, I won't be able to show off my new jersey at Georgia Southern's season openeragainst Georgia Tech because Nomar was a Yellow Jacket in his college days.

Law & Order Corner:

Continuing our countdown of the top characters on Law & Order, this week, I present Dennis Farinaas detective Joe Fontana. First off, Farina comes into a tough situation.He's following a legend in Jerry Orbach (look for him near the top of thelist . . . I haven't fixed my top two yet, but he's there) and he's onlybeen on the show for half a season so far. I've been impressed with Farinaand find him believable. The chemistry between Farina and Jesse L. Martinseems to be getting better (Martin is an underrated part of the show, asfar as I'm concerned). I get the feeling if I did this in 3 years, Farinawould be much higher on the list.

What I'm watching: Nothing (stupid work)
What I'm reading: www.i-aa.org
On Deck: The life and near death experiences of "Fluffy"