Tuesday, February 08, 2005

More Cowbell . . .

It's been a while since I've taken the time to sit and add anything to this blog of mine, and I wish I had a good excuse like I'd found the cure to cancer or proved the theory of evolution, but it boils down to watching a lot of television and playing FIFA 2005 are the reasons I haven't written anything.

(And let's be honest here, it's not like I'm actually writing anything deeply profound that's going to change your life. I wrote about putting a dead cat in a freezer last time.)

Anyway, during my television watching, I got to thinking about my college days, where I didn't have to schedule time to relax. Heck, I was a journalism major, relaxing was a way of life for me. While other people were cramming for midterms, I had a page-and-a-half, half-baked story about some random campus event. I hated finals week because I was bored. All my friends were busy pulling all-nighters at Henderson Library, I was writing another half-baked story about another random campus event.

Fortunately for my sanity, Comedy Central had the rights to the reruns of Saturday Night Live (which is, without a doubt, the greatest late-night comedy sketch show ever to run for more than 30 years on NBC).

The folks in charge of afternoon programming at Comedy Central had the world's easiest job. Reruns of SNL from noon to three in the afternoon, an hour break to make it look like they were actually working and then more SNL reruns until 8 p.m.

This fit in perfectly with the college student's schedule. Got a break from class from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.? Sure, you could study, even try to perhaps educate yourself on your chosen area of study, but where's the fun in that? You've got the rest of your life to try go over reports and create lesson plans (most of my friends were education majors, so I feel like I almost minored in education, but that's a different story for a different time), why waste a perfectly good three-hour block when Comedy Central could fill that void with mindless entertainment that spawned a thousand catch-phrases among my friends.

Things like:
"I gotta have more cowbell."
"I will punch you in the face if you do not get off the shed."
And my all-time favorite "I drive a Dodge Stratus. You do not talk to me that way, I drive a Dodge Stratus."

But like the song says, "you don't know what you've got, til it's gone."

Little did we know that soon E! (as opposed to "e", the less flamboyant cousin of E!) would obtain the rights to the SNL reruns. Fortunately for me, I was already out in the "real world" (For those still in school, it's nothing like the MTV show, those liars!)

E!'s (<----- is that proper punctuation?) programmers apparently care about the education of today's college students and only show two episodes a day, one at 4 p.m. and one at midnight. Seriously, what self-respecting college student is home at midnight to watch SNL (I mean besides me?) Today's college students have every opportunity to become tomorrow's leaders without the distraction of an American institution . . . I weep for today's students. They will never know the joy of seeing Chris Kattan's Mango or Christopher Walken hosting for the 128th time. Mike Myers will always be Austin Powers to them and not the host of Sprokets. The Church Lady will mean nothing to them. How can we call these students educated without these basic building blocks of knowledge? I shudder to think what the future may be like.

What I'm Watching: Law & Order
What I'm Reading: Double Play
On Deck: The NFL's support of drug use among it's fans