Thursday, December 08, 2005

Tell Me Lies

I don't like to vent about my marriage in public, but in this case I think it's justified. I may regret this later, but I just have to write this. Excuse my venting (and don't tell Yes Dear you read this here)

When Yes Dear and I got married (August 2, 2003, see, I remember), I thought I was entering a lifelong partnership. One which would be mutually beneficial to both of us as we went though this crazy journey called life together.

Now, I'm not so sure.

No no, I'm not thinking of leaving her and, as far as I know, she has no intentions of leaving me. I'm just not sure the partnership I thought we had is the same as what she thinks.

Whenever I have a big decision in life (like whether to set of parenthetical thoughts with parentheses or with commas) I give her a call to ask her opinion. (She likes parentheses, can you tell?) I know that the decisions I make affect her as well and I want to discuss the issue before I do something that may make her upset. (If she ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.)

When I got into an accident and my truck was totaled, I didn't go out and buy the first car for sale that I saw, but instead we looked at all the options we had and settled on what was best for us.

When we go out to dinner, I ask her where she wants to go rather than tell her we're going to Wendy's for their 99 cents value menu. (Always go with the Frosty)

But Wednesday, all the trust she'd built up with me was dashed. After a slow morning at work, I went home to get lunch when the phone rang. Because an ringing phone must be answered, I picked it up. (It's some subliminal urge to make the noise stop, I think. For some reason, people have trouble letting their answering machine or voice mail take the call, even if you don't want to talk to anyone.)

On the other end of the line was Yes Dear. She started out apologizingg to me. I knew this couldn't be good. She's the wife. According to the law of situation comedies, the wife only apologizes if she crashes her car into the neighbor's pool or if she sells the husband's cherished childhoold memento.

She goes on and on about not involving me in the decision-making process and she hopes I won't be mad. Now I'm starting to wonder if she sold her car for a camel to save gas money.

She then told me she didn't think I'd mind, but she accepted the job at Georgia Southern that she'd been offered.

I'm human, so while I'm excited she got the job, we're working on our trust issues. It may take some time.

Weekend plans: In addition to getting her new job, Yes Dear graduates Friday with her Masters Degree. Unfortunately, she hasn't hired anyone to take her place in the graduation ceremony. (By doing that, she could sit with her family and share the experience of watching "her" graduate with us.) It's also her father's birthday, so there's a joint party following the ceremony. Other than that, I don't have a clue what I'm doing this weekend.

Cubs update: The Cubbies acquiredd leadoff man extrodinairee Juan Pierre for next year. Having him at the top of the lineup should dramaticallyy improve our offense. I know it's December and I'm talking about baseball, but Georgia Southern football is done and I'm not a basketball fan, so this is all I have. Don't judge me.

Next Post: It'll actually probably be Tuesday. Yes Dear and her new co-workers are being treated to dinner by their boss. Apparently it's a blow-out extravaganza that's an hour away. It should be fun, but it's on Monday (my regular posting day.) If you need something to waste those five minutes of your day, I'd like to again recommend The Ex-Girlfriend Project.