Monday, February 27, 2006

So long, farewell.

Goodbye curling, we hardly knew you.

For the better part of the past two weeks, I'd come home from work and immediately turn on CNBC, not because I've got any financial knowledge that needs to be expanded, but because they were the only channel showing Olympic events at 5 p.m. Eastern Time.

And while they were showing Olympic events, they weren't showing events that were sure to be a huge ratings draw. They were showing curling.

It took me three days to figure out the basics of the game (I'm not real quick.) Essentially, you get a point for every stone that's closer to the center than you opponent's stone.

Matches generally last about two-and-a-half hours. (I believe that's what they're called. It could be games, or contests. I'm not really sure. Then again, I didn't know what point the brooms had until the beginning of the second week of the tournament) So I was enjoying curling long after Yes Dear got home and said "Why are you watching this?"

By the medal rounds, she didn't even bother asking any more. She'd just sit down and suffer though the final four "ends" (they're similar to innings, and if you don't know what an inning is, you probably don't need to be reading this blog).

I, meanwhile, was waiting for the skip to throw an out-turn draw to the four-foot to score two. Or, I'd want the third to throw a double with the hammer to blank the end.

In other words, I got caught up in the curling hysteria that was sweeping the nation. (Seriously, I didn't intend the pun. It's really bad. I'm sorry you had to read it. I'm even more sorry that my mind came up with it.) I enjoyed watching it. Given the chance, I think I'd enjoy playing curling, especially with my newfound knowledge.

Sadly, it'll be another four years before I see curling again. No more in-turn draws. No more guards. No more watching non-English-speaking teams shouting what I can only presume are words of instruction to the sweepers. Somehow I will have to fill the void in my life created by the excitement-filled world of curling.

A better person would spend the next four years studying ancient literature, doing charitable works for the less fortunate and conditioning my body though exercise. Instead I'll play fantasy sports, watch American Idol (bring back Becky!) and generally do my best not to be a huge detriment to society.

So farewell curlers. It's back to obscurity for you. (Well, except for those female curlers who posed nude for a promotional calendar. Your fifteen minutes of fame still have a few more ticks on the clock. And sorry guys, you'll have to find those pictures on your own.) But when I sweep my kitchen floor, I'll remember you. When I slide down a sheet of ice directing a 42-pound stone towards a 12-foot circle in an attempt to get my rock closer than my opponents, I'll think of you.

See you in Vancouver in 2010.

Weekend update: Friday, Yes Dear and I went to a party at a friends house for oysters and a low-country boil. A good time was had by all. Saturday, we'd planned on going to the Georgia Southern baseball game, but it rained all day, so we didn't do anything fun. Sunday we celebrated Official Brother's birthday (it was actually Saturday, but the Official Girlfriend of Official Brother couldn't make it to celebrate, so we did it a day late.)

House update: We have a frame and a roof. Yes Dear is already planning out how she's going to decorate.

Pre-Fantasy update: I'm drafting in March for three different teams. In other words, I'll be cheering for virtually every player in every game and against every player in every game.

Cubs update: The Cubs are still undefeated in 2006. Sure, there is more than a month until the season begins, but I've got to enjoy this while I can.

Next Post: Either Wednesday or next Monday.