Monday, March 06, 2006

It's a mistake

Yep, a Men At Work song. And yes, I had to Google it to find the appropriate blog title.

There are some injustices in the world I'm willing to overlook. Catherine Zeta-Jones not winning an Oscar (though her marriage to Michael Douglas is hard to take), Screech not getting the recognition he's due from his Saved by the Bell years, and Pauly Shore not being banished from film-making for eternity are just a few I'm willing to let slide in this crazy world.

But there comes a time when you've got to take a stand and say "enough is enough." That time was last week, but because I was busy with other stuff and then had friends in town this weekend, I've had to wait until now to actually address it.

Last week, a special committee voted to induct 17 people from the Negro Leagues into the Professional Baseball Hall-of-Fame, something that was long overdue, but nevertheless, a great honor for those selected.

Note: Before anyone starts calling me a racist for the phrase "Negro Leagues," I'm just using the phrase that African-Americans use in referring to the league. It was around before Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier and paved the way for the multi-cultural game we know today. Now, back to your regularly scheduled outrage.

However, in their infinite wisdom, the committee managed to overlook the most deserving candidate of all, Buck O'Neal.

Now I don't know a lot about O'Neil (I had to Google his name to make sure I spelled it correctly.) To the average person, they couldn't tell Buck O'Neil from John Candy's Uncle Buck.

I couldn't tell you a single stat from O'Neil's playing days. (To be fair, stats from the Negro Leagues aren't very accurate because there was very little news coverage of the games. And when there was coverage, it was often buried in the back pages of the sports section.

O'Neil was, however, the first black coach in the Major Leagues (with the Cubs, of all teams) and was an excellent scout. He discovered Hall-of-Famer Ernie Banks (who also played with the Cubs) among others.

But aside from O'Neil's playing and coaching accomplishments, (whatever they are), they pale in comparison to why he should be included among the game's immortals.

For year's Buck has been an ambassador for the game while helping keep alive the memory of the Negro Leagues. In fact, of the 17 Negro League players and owners elected to the Hall-of-Fame, none of them are still living.

When noted film maker Ken Burns produced a massive documentary on baseball, it was O'Neil who stole the show. Without O'Neil, I wouldn't know that "Cool" Papa Bell was so fast he turn off the light switch and be in bed under the covers before the room was dark.

He's probably the most well-known of all the players who spent their entire career in the Negro Leagues, despite the fact that others were probably better players.

So is Buck angry that he wasn't selected to be in the Hall-of-Fame? Not in the least. In fact, Buck has agreed to give the induction speech at the ceremony for the other 17 inductees.

In a recent interview, O'Neil said he'd be upset if he never had the chance to be inducted, but because he was considered for induction, he holds no ill-will towards the Hall-of-Fame.

Sadly, this year is the last year O'Neil's name was up for consideration. Baseball people far more intelligent than me are trying to find a way to get O'Neil in the Hall-of-Fame. I hope their successful. To have a museum dedicated to the history of the game and not have Buck O'Neil included would render the Hall-of-Fame practically useless.

I shudder to think that when I bring my son to the Hall-of-Fame, Buck O'Neil's story wouldn't be told. And that, my friends, is an injustice that needs to be rectified.

House update: They were putting shingles on the roof today. And also, the lot next to our's was bought, so we won't have construction going on next to us after we move in.

Fantasy update: I joined my third and final fantasy baseball league of the year. (Quick Poll: Do I bring back the fantasy girls for the fantasy update or no? Readers, I'm leaving it up to you.) Also, I'm drafting for my first league on Wednesday.

Van update: No, I don't own a van, but for the past week or so, a van has been stuck in the mud at a house in our neighborhood. They got it out yesterday.(What kind of idiot parks his van in the front yard when a heavy rainstorm is coming? Hopefully the type of idiot that doesn't read this blog.)

Thanks for reading. Next post later in the week or Monday at the latest.