Monday, April 24, 2006

Take me out to the ballgame

Tonight, my big plans include sitting on my couch and watching the Cubs take on the Florida Marlins.

Not much different than any other night, you say? Well, you’re partially correct. From April to October, I generally watch baseball, and specifically Cubs’ games, most every night (except when we’re watching American Idol – Catch the McPheever).

However, tonight will be different. Instead of causally watching the game while flipping though Sports Illustrated, I’ll be paying close attention to the outfield seats, focusing primarily on the centerfield bleachers.

For tonight, you see, a little piece of me dies. While I’m home on my couch watching the game, Yes Dear will be at the game, seeing the holy shrine of Cubdom that is Wrigley Field. I hope she bought a cardinal from a local pet shop to offer as a sacrifice at the alter of all things Cubs.

Yes Dear has spent the past few days in Chicago at a conference (yes, she goes to a lot of conferences; and no, I don’t know exactly what each of them are for. I just know I need to have the house somewhat clean when she gets back.). The first thing she said when she found out she was going to the conference was ‘are the Cubs in town that weekend?” As fate would have it, they were in St. Louis during the conference, so she actually had to attend all the different sessions rather than playing baseball hooky.

Fortunately for her, the Cubs did return home for tonight’s game against Florida. So she’s spending an extra day in the Windy City to take in the game.

She brought her camera and extra batteries, so when she gets back, I’m sure I’ll find a way to put some photos here for all to see. (The trick will be finding pictures without her in them since she somehow believes someone could use my blog to track her down. She obviously thinks I have more readers than I actually do and that those readers care enough to track her down.)

In a related note, I was at the Relay for Life Friday night when my preacher asked where Yes Dear was. When I told him she was in Chicago and she was going to go to a Cubs game, he said that must be my definition of Hell. I think he’s right.

Fantasy Update: With Yes Dear out of town, it would have been the perfect time to have a cup of coffee with Ali Landry. (Quick side note, what was A.C. Slater thinking when he cheated on Landry at his bachelor party. Dude, you’re Slater, you can’t do any better than Ali Landry. You’re a disgrace to men everywhere. He never struck me as particularly bright on “Saved by the Bell” and the fact that he cheated on the Doritos Girl only proves that fact.) Unfortunately, Landry’s publicist never returned my phone calls, so we’ve yet to meet. In other fantasy news, The Fighting Squirrels had a mixed week, going 11-3-2 in one league, good enough to stay in second place, and going 4-10-1 in another league, but still holding a four-game lead over second place.

(Note: It’s far to early to start planning Fighting Squirrel championship parades, but if we win, you’re all invited to the celebration.)

Weekend Update: With Yes Dear out of town and all our money being saved for our down payment on our new house (more on that later in the week), I was left to watch baseball and essentially scout players from my fantasy team I’d never seen play. Sadly, I wasn’t invited to the Great Blogger Summit held Sunday afternoon.

Car Update: We had to take Yes Dear’s car to the shop Thursday afternoon. Fortunately, it wasn’t anything serious and I’ll be able to eat this week.

Cubs Update: Despite losing two of three to St. Louis over the weekend, the Cubs are still 10-7 and only 2.5 games behind Houston in the National League Central.

Indians Update: Apparently I’ve cursed the Indians as well as they lost two of three to the lowly Kansas City Royals. Tribe fans, I forgot to mention I tend to curse the teams I cheer for. Sorry.

If you’re reading this and haven’t contributed to the Nexus of the Universe Fund to buy me a new flat screen television, you’re no better than a common thief. Thanks for nothing. Well, thanks for reading, but nothing else.