Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Working for the weekend

Due to the fact that what I would normally put here will be published in the paper on Thursday, you'll have to wait until then to read it. However, that doesn't mean it's not update time.

Weekend update: Went to The Masters on Friday and Saturday (more on that Thursday). Sunday, Yes Dear got back from her weeklong conference in Kentucky. Fortunately, we had enough food in the house that I knew how to cook that I didn't die. Once again, my survival skills will be put to the test in 10 days when Yes Dear goes to Chicago for five days. If you don't hear from me, call the police to make sure I didn't die.

Cubs update: Despite losing today, the Cubs are 4-2 on the early season. If (and it's a big IF,) they can stay in the race for the first month to month-and-a-half, the Cubs pitchers Kerry Wood and Mark Prior can get healthy and they could compete. So far Derrek Lee has picked up right where he left off last year, Matt Murton and Ronny Cedeno are playing well and everyone not named Glendon Rusch is pitching well. So far, so good.

Fantasy update: The patron saint of the Fantasy Update, Catherine Zeta-Jones has yet to find a reason to call me. Maybe I need to libel her in my column so her lawyers can call me and we can set up a meeting. In other fantasy news, the Fighting Squirrels had a good week, winning 9-6-1 in one league and 9-5-1 in another. (For the dedicated readers, you may notice I only reported on two leagues. The third league is a bit more complex in terms of scoring, and it's a season-long race. Add to that I'm basically playing for next year and you'll understand why I don't regularly update that league.)

Weight-loss update: After losing 14 pounds (mostly due to the fact that Yes Dear was working 70-80 hours a week for two weeks and, therefore, not cooking, I'd lost 14 pounds. Sadly, I've gained four of those back, but I'm still down 10 pounds from late February.

Thanks for reading. See you Thursday. Pass this on to 10 people to increase my hit counter by 10.