Thursday, August 10, 2006

22 things to make my life better

ESPN columnist Bill Simmons recently wrote a column with the 33 things he'd like to see done to make sports better. (Read it here, if you're so inclined.)

Never being one to turn down a good blog idea, I figured I'd come up with 22 things to make my life better. So here they are in no particular order.

1. Grass in my back yard (and in the front yard for that matter.)

2. A stretch where the Cubs go 25-5.

3. My fantasy teams to get back on track (more on that in the very belated Fantasy Update)

4. Losing 20 pounds.

5. A raise.

6. Time for and dedication to blogging.

7. Cooler weather (or somewhere in the shade to park my car.)

8. Catherine Zeta-Jones and Beyonce Knowles fighting in a vat of Jell-O for the right to go on a date with me (and really, there are no losers in that one.)

9. A wife who would accommodate number eight.

10. Actual writing talent.

11. Kayser back on Big Brother All-Stars

12. One of our neighbors to get a puppy and letting Yes Dear play with it all day long.

13. Alcohol served to every interview subject about 30 minutes before I start questioning them.

14. Bill O'Reilly off the air.

15. Keith Olberman back on SportsCenter.

16. Money for nothing and chicks for free.

17. I also want my MTV.

18. An extra role on any of the Law & Orders.

19. Tickets to see Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

20. A really good cheeseburger.

21. Spending a week on the Baseball Tonight set at ESPN.

22. Not having to work on Friday nights. (I hate high school football!)

Fantasy Update: I've been told I look like Paul from the Wonder Years, so I'd love the chance to date Danica McKellar, but she apparently doesn't date married guys from Georgia. At least, that's what I inferred from the restraining order. In other fantasy news, the Fighting Squirrels were reduced to shadowboxing chipmunk last week, losing 2-13-1 in one league and shrinking my lead to just 1.5 games while going 6-8-1 in the other league to fall out of the playoffs if the season ended today. Needless to say, we made some changes and hired Matt Foley to speak to the teams. I think it'll make a difference.

Big Brother Update: As noted above, Kayser, (America's favorite Muslim) was evicted from Big Brother tonight. He was my favorite and now I'm reduced to cheering against people for the rest of the show. I guess I'll cheer for James since he's a Georgia Southern grad.

Weekend plans: After spending the past two weekends painting, my plans for this weekend is to . . . not paint. I'll watch some baseball and do whatever comes up.

Leading today's college students astray update: I was asked to speak to a group of public relations students at Georgia Southern Friday and give them tips on how to write and other advice. I'm honored that they would pick the winner of the 2005 Georgia Press Association humor columnist in class (whatever classification we're in), but I can't help but think there is an entire communication arts department with people who have actually, you know, studied this stuff for a living. Maybe I'll point out to them that they need to take advantage of the abundance of intellectual resources they have on campus. Or not. I could go either way on this one.