Monday, August 22, 2005

I fought the law (and the law won)

Longtime visitors to the Nexus of the Universe know that I'm an avid Law & Order fan. I was disappointed when Jill Hennessy was killed off the show. I was saddened when Jerry Orbach died. I haven't liked a single ADA since Angie Harmon.

But in addition to Law & Order, I'm also a fan of the two spinoffs, Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order: Criminal Intent. So when USA had a mini-marathon of Law & Order:SVU on yesterday, I was excited. (Seriously though, how does seven episodes constitute a marathon? Shouldn't there be 26.2 episodes to constitute a television marathon? I'll even give the networks a break - 26 episodes. But seven, that's just not having anything to show on a Sunday afternoon and saying "who doesn't like Law & Order? Let's just show a lot of them back-to-back and call it a marathon? Why isn't Ralph Nader investigating?)

Anyway, I watched quite a few of the episodes. For the uninitiated, SVU is the sex crimes unit, so they work all the rape and rape-homicide cases. (I know, real uplifting stuff.) But one of the episodes they showed yesterday had nothing to do with rape or sexual assault. No, instead they SVU detectives were called because a baby overdosed on cocaine. Aren't there, I don't know, HOMICIDE DETECTIVES that could be working on that case? Was a slow week for sex crimes? I'm willing to give the writers a little creative liberty, but calling sex crimes for a baby that was overdosing on cocaine is a bit of a stretch. (And no, the whole Law & Order angle isn't an excuse to post a Mariska Mariska Hargitay photo, but since you brought it up, here you go.)

That said, it was one of the better episodes. The detectives go undercover to find the dirty cop. There's death, violence, arrests and legal jargon. Everything you need for a great hour of television.

Family update: Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers, concerns regarding last Friday's post. Fortunately, things aren't as bad as I was initially led to believe and, with time, things will be back to normal. As the Bartles & Jaymes guys used to say, "Thank you for your support."

Cubs update: The Cubs dropped two of three to the Colorado Rockies, one of the worst teams in baseball. Even Yes Dear got into the whole song title feel when she asked the Cubs to "quit playing games with my heart."

Fantasy update: Much like my week because Kristin Davis didn't call, the Steel Rabbits had a disappointing week, going 5-6-1 in one league and 7-10-0 in the other. Fortunately, we're still looking good as far as playoff position goes, though it would be nice to win a series or two against the top teams before the playoffs begin.

Also, one of my three fantasy football drafts is set. While I'm not a huge NFL fan (I prefer college), it gives me an excuse to watch football on Sundays. (Here's hoping Yes Dear plans on doing a lot of work on her thesis on the weekends when there are big games, otherwise, it could be a long season.)

Friends update: A friend of mine and his wife had their house struck by lightning Friday night. Thankfully they're ok and, from what I've been told, they didn't lose much of their possessions. Unfortunately for them, they're living with his mother for the time being.

Weekend update: At midnight Friday, I was still up at the office finishing up the first Friday night football weekend of the year. Twelve hours later, I was pulling in to Yes Dear's family's home. Twenty-four hours later, I was pulling back into my apartment. It was a long weekend. I'm tired.

On Deck: Where is that T-Mobile store?
Next update: Wednesday night