Friday, August 12, 2005

Fairweather Johnson

Yeah, I went "Hootie and the Blowfish" on you for the title. I know, I know, 1995 called, it wants its band back.

As frequent visitors to the Nexus of the Universe know, I'm a diehard Cubs fan. To be a Cubs fan, you have to be. Afterall, until the past two seasons, the Cubs hadn't had back-to-back winning seasons since the disco era. And sadly, the way things are going recently, it looks like there won't be back-to-back-to-back winning seasons. (By the way, yes, I remember my pick of 90 wins for the Cubs, it's still possible, but I'm feeling less and less confident in that pick as each day goes by.)

When the Cubs began winning and looking like contenders in 2003, fans came out of the woodwork suddenly claiming to be lifelong Cubs fans. These same fans were there in 2004 when the Cubs were one game away from making the playoffs.

For a while, I couldn't figure out why this bothered me. If they wanted to cheer for the Cubs, what did it matter to me? The more the merrier, right? Well, sadly, no.

These new fans hadn't paid their dues. They weren't there in the mid 90s when the Cubs televsion slogan (you know, the ones that promote the upcoming season) was "we're working on it." They shouldn't be able to enjoy the success that fans far older than I have been waiting for their entire lives.

In Georgia today, nearly everyone is a Braves fan. In fact, many of the older ones claim to have been fans in the 1980s when the Braves were . . . what's the word . . . I want to say "fun" but that's not it . . . "dehydrated" is obviously wrong . . . "absolutly awful." That's it. They were terrible. But ask any Braves fan today over the age of 30 and they'll say they were diehard fans back during the losing. (The Braves, for you non-sports fans, have won a record 13 straight division titles and appear to be headed for a 14th.)

So to all the bandwagon fans, I can do nothing but quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail. "I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough water! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Cubs Update: After losing eight straight, the Cubs have won two in a row.

Work Update: Scott's last day was today. This makes me sad, if for no other reason than I now have seniority in the "Sports Valut." It doesn't feel like I've been there long enough to have acquired any type of seniority. Unfortunately, seniority means nothing as I'm still lacking the Internet at my computer.

Weekend Update: Yes Dear has training for work Saturday at the beach (tough job, I know) and then has to work Sunday from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. In other words, I'm a married bachelor this weekend. Playstation, here I come.

New Visitor Update: In the last batch of comments from my previous post, a friend from high school stopped by to say hello (that would be Diana for those who read the comments.) How she found my little slice of cyberspace, I've got no idea, but it was nice to see someone from the old days reading my ramblings. Welcome aboard Diana.

St. Augustine Photo: Here's a photo of St. Augustine City Hall. Needless to say, Statesboro's City Hall is not that nice.

Coming Monday: Weekend Upate, Fantasy Update, and other stuff.

Have a great weekend all. Thanks for stopping by and, as always, take care of yourself, and each other.