Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Take me out to the ballgame . . .

Yes Dear and I go to one or two Major League Baseball games a year. I say two, but in reality, we've only gone to two games in one season once, and that's when the Cubs made the playoffs and were in Atlanta.

So Monday's trip to see the Cubs play in Atlanta was most likely our one pilgramiage to see my team play, and, for the fourth consecutive time, the Cubs lost when I went.

This, for me, (sadly) is old hat as I've been though the lean years of being a Cubs fan. Yes Dear, on the other hand, only came around to being a Cubs fan shortly after we got married, so she's not beaten down by the losing as much as me.

She wants to see a win!

As for the game itself, the Cubs looked to be suffering the after-effects of losing in 12 innings the day before. The offense looked lethargic (despite getting some pitches to hit) and baserunning mistakes cost them. They fell behind 3-0 after one inning and never really threatened to get back into it, eventually losing 4-0. I don't think the Cubs ever got a runner to third base (sounds like my dating record).

Despite the loss, we had a good time. We got there early for batting practice and got to see some of the players up close, which was a thrill for both myself and Yes Dear. Also, we got a fireworks show after the game, which was pretty good.

However, getting back home at 2:30 a.m. and trying to get to work by 10 a.m. was not fun. Had the Cubs won, it would have been much easier. Oh well, there's always next year.

Weekend update: We went to a wedding on Saturday and then watched a lot of the Live 8 concerts. Sunday was (as you know), laundry day, followed by watching the Cubs lose in 12 innings. Then we went to my parents' house for a cookout since we were going to be out of town on Monday.

Fantasy Update: Jenny McCarthy still hasn't called, but in other fantasy news, the Fighting Squirrels went 10-6-1 in one league (where I'm withing striking distance of third place) and going 7-5 in the other league to remain in fourth place.

On Deck: How I inadvertantly became a homewrecker (you're intrigued, aren't you?)
Next Update: Wednesday