Monday, June 27, 2005

Back in the saddle again

Well friends, after taking essentially a five-day break from blogging (which basically means I took Friday off), I'm back for my regularly scheduled blog update. (Admit it, you know you missed me . . . what's that . . . you didn't really . . . you found someone funnier to read and you're only here to tell me good-bye . . . Come on baby, take me back, I won't mistreat you again. . . If I'm going to take a day off posting, I'll let you know . . . don't do this to me baby, give me one more chance)

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, allow me to proclaim that the Chosen One, the Golden Child, the Savior of Wrigleyville has returned to lead his followers to the promised land.

That's right boys and girls, after missing only a month after being hit in the elbow with a line drive, Mark Prior assumed his rightful place on top of the pitching mound and gave hope to all the lost followers wandering in the desert of the baseball season.

Prior, the second overall pick in the 2001 draft, is considered by many to be the most complete pitcher in baseball today. He's got a fastball that he throws in the mid-90s, a curveball that he can throw for strikes whenever he wants (Sunday, on back to back hitters with 3-1 counts, Prior threw absolutely perfect curveballs for strikes before striking the batter out on the next pitch) and a slider he throws just often enough to keep hitters guessing.

However, the residents of Wrigleyville thought the Grinch had stolen their Christmas one month ago when a line drive hit off Prior's elbow, causing a fracture and many to speculate that his career may actually be over. That, combined with Nomar's groin muscle tearing from the bone at the beginning of the season was enough for many (including yours truly) to wonder what else could go wrong. Fortunately, the Cubbies regrouped and won 12 of 15 to put themselves in the thick of the wild card race. While struggling recently, the return of Prior and Kerry Wood (he pitches Wednesday) have given hope to even the most fatalistic of Cubs fans.

Unlike Mudville, there is joy in Wrigleyville, for we have hope. Granted, hope and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds, but we have hope. There's a chance that Prior will lead the Cubs to somewhere they haven't been since before World War II ended, the World Series.

Last year with the Red Sox, the talk was of Curt Schilling and Pedro Martinez. Well, Prior is as dominating a pitcher as I've seen since Pedro from 1998-2002. He has a chance (if he can avoid the injury bug, which is a big if) to attain that level of greatness. Like Pedro last year, if Prior leads the Cubs to a World Series title, he'll be considered mythical. Songs will be written of his greatness, legends will be passed down from generation to generation about the boy with the golden arm.

Fasten your seatbelts fans, it's going to be an exciting summer. (Does it show that I may have a bit of a man crush on Prior?)

Weekend update: Saturday was spent watching baseball from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. (Braves vs. Orioles, Cubs vs. White Sox and the College World Series). Also, Official Brother and I planned a summer trip for 2007 where we plan on visiting seven baseball stadiums in seven days (Atlanta, Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York Yankees, New York Mets and Boston). Why 2007, well, because he's a poor college student and I'm a poor journalist, so it'll take that long to accumulate the necessary revenue to make the trip.

Fantasy Update: Heather Graham didn't call, but the Fighting Squirrels had a winning week with one team going 8-7-2 to remain in sixth place (but only 9.5 games behind first) while the other team went 6-5-1 to hold on to fourth place.

Truck update: After going the weekend without my truck, it was fixed early Monday afternoon. Since I know absolutely nothing about automotive repair, I'm going to assume they waived a magic wand over the engine to make it work.

On Deck: My Wednesday Rant (I guess I'd better find something to rant about)
On the Horizon: My running diary of the greatest reality show ever created.
Next Update: Wednesday