Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Watch out Vegas, Yes Dear's on her way

With Yes Dear out of town to take a certification for her career and absolutely nothing on television worth my time, I figured now would be as good a time as any to give you Yes Dear's sure-fire way to pick the winners of a college softball game.

"But Luke," you may thinking, "I've never even thought about college softball, much less trying to pick winners in the games. After all, I've got more important things to worry about like making sure my kids are doing what they're supposed to or picking up the dry cleaning or arranging to have my husband murdered and framing my boss for the crime."

And while I admit those are all good excuses, but stick with me here, it's not as hard as you think.

"But Luke," you're again thinking, "why are you watching college softball in the first place? I thought you had better things to do with your time."

Ah, another astute observation. But what you fail to recognize is that as a married man, watching college girls is essentially a forbidden fruit. It's like sneaking out in high school to a party with your friends when you've been grounded for sneaking out last week to go to a party with your friends. If you're caught, there are repercussions, and not the go-to-your-room-and-think-about-what-you've- done kind but the son-we-got-you-an-ankle-monitor-and-have-instructed-the-police-to-shoot-you-if-you're-out-past-ten kind of repercussions. It's not something you risk.

But sports, on the other hand, are something Yes Dear is slowly growing to actually be interested in. I can watch sports with no repercussions. If college girls happen to be playing those sports, then I can always say "I'm watching for the thrill of competition."

But enough about that, you're here to learn how to pick college softball games. Well, Yes Dear and I were watching a game last Friday and she looks at me and said "Arizona's going to win, their team has prettier girls."

Sure enough, Arizona won the game.

While I don't think the method is fool proof, it seems to be a fairly good indicator as to how teams will do. However, Texas did manage to lose despite what I'm sure was stellar play from their catcher, Megan Willis


Jennie Finch must have been undefeated in college.

Another thing I've noticed is that there appears to be a disproportionate amount of blondes that play softball. Not many redheads or brunettes play, or at least play well enough to make it to the Women's College World Series. I have absolutely no idea why this would be.

Anyway, right now Michigan is leading UCLA in a do-or-die game for the Lady Wolverines. While they may win this game, I'm betting UCLA takes the winner-take-all game tomorrow. I mean, have you seen their bench?!?

What I'm watching: Women's College World Series
Cubs Update: Currently trailing to Toronto 3-2
On Deck: My Wednesday Rant.