Sunday, April 24, 2005

Watching bandwagons pass us by

It's only April and the Cubs bandwagon is falling apart. I don't mean falling apart like the radio button is stuck and now we only get the classic country station, I mean falling apart like the Bluesmobile upon arriving at Daley Plaza.

Elwood: Oh no!
Jake: What was that?
Elwood: We threw a rod!
Jake: Is that serious?
Elwood: Yup.



Sadly, I'm the captain of this fine bandwagon.

We're already using our backup shortstop and second baseman, our bullpen has more holes in it than 2-year-old socks and we couldn't score runs if they were handing out free samples at Wal-Mart. We desperately need Todd Walker back in our lineup. I hate to say it, but the Cubs may need to trade some of their young pitching prospects for another big bat in the lineup.

Latroy Hawkins is in midseason form already, blowing another save on Saturday that ruined a vintage Greg Maddux performance. I never thought I'd long for the day that Joe Borowski was healthy. (For those who don't know, "Borowski" translates to "six-pack" in English.)

Could it really be just three weeks ago I predicted 90 wins for the Cubs? What I meant was the Cubs will go through 90 players between shortstop and second base this year.

I looks like it's going to be a long year, friends. The good news is there's still plenty of seats available. The bad news is . . . well, have you seen our bandwagon. We're not exactly riding in style right now.