Monday, April 18, 2005

There's only one Screech for me . . .

So the Washington D.C. area has a baseball team after 34 years without one. Not being from the D. C. area and having no plans whatsoever to attend a baseball game there, it didn't matter where they located the old Montreal Expos. As long as the Cubs got to play them six times a year and it wasn't in San Juan, I was happy.

No granted, I was disappointed that the team is named the "Nationals" and not the historic "Senators," but I'll survive this gross oversight by Major League Baseball.

However, today I learned some disturbing information. The kind of information that makes you reconsider your unhealthy devotion to a game you stopped playing competitively in seventh grade.

The Washington Nationals unveiled their new mascot last week. For some reason, it's a giant bird.

To be fair, I hate most mascots. (Not frightened, mind you, just general loathsome feelings towards them). They're great for the kids, but as a fan trying to watch a game, I don't need them. If I were bald, I especially wouldn't need a mascot coming up behind me while I'm watching a game and shining my bald head. (This is why I always wear a hat.)

Anyway, back to the Nationals new mascot. In a terrible naming contest that had to be disproportionately swayed by people in the 24-30 age group, the Nationals new mascot has been named after the lovable geek played by Dustin Diamond's in Saved by the Bell. That's right, they named it "Screech." Not only is this the worst name ever given to a mascot, but it manages to demean on of Saturday morning's biggest non-animated star ever.

Where's Randall Simon when you need him?

To make matters worse, Screech replaces Youppi, Montreal's former mascot. I have no idea what Youppi means, but isn't that the point of a mascot? Besides, as best I could tell, Youppi was the offspring of Mr. Met and the Syracuse Orange.

QUICK MONDAY HITTERS:

The Cubs are 6-6 entering play tonight. Not great, but not terrible. Plenty of time left for them to break my heart.

The Steel Rabbits, on the other hand, enjoyed a stellar week in both leagues, going 11-5-1 in one league in which I'm currently in fourth place and 6-5-1 in the other league in which I'm essentially tied for first.

I walked more than three miles yesterday. Nothing noteworthy except to say I'm miserably out of shape still.

I'm almost done with Deception Point, by Dan Brown, and I was actually wrong I who I thought was pulling the strings. (Again, no book review because I lack the talent, insight and desire to do one.)