Saturday, April 16, 2005

Moving up in the world . . .

Every now and again, especially when I'm bored, I'll Google my name to see where I rank in the world of Luke Martins. Usually I'm fairly far down the list.

For a long time, my only claim to fame was writing a story in The Coastal Courier (the Hinesville, Ga. newspaper) about a house fire that started when a woman tried to get a snake out of her house by spraying it with gasoline. Apparently the gas got to close to the hot water heater, and one thing led to another and then the snake wasn't her top priority. (You can read that story here.)

That was usually on page four or five after you Googled "Luke Martin." But now, thanks to my columns in the Statesboro Herald, I've moved up to the second page of results. I have no idea what this means in the grand scheme of the cosmos, but it made my day today.