Monday, June 06, 2005

We can never have anything nice

Growing up in a house where I was the oldest of three boys, things tended to get broken often. I guess it was to be expected when we'd play hallway soccer or just throw the football around the living room while watching a game.

As a result, my parents didn't tend to buy expensive things as there was a better than average chance one of us would end up doing something to break it sooner rather than later.

That's how I feel about the Cubs right now. Sure they've won nine of their last 11 (following their 4-1 loss to Toronto tonight), but look at their roster. Kerry Wood has been out for several weeks, Joe Borowski missed two months with a broken hand, starting second baseman Todd Walker missed eight weeks with a knee injury he sustained in the first two weeks of the season. And let's not forget Nomar, who ripped his groin muscle from the bone. (I can only imagine that's as painful as it sounds).

But the mother of all injuries was seeing a line drive hit off the elbow of Mark Prior. (Read that again, a batted baseball, probably traveling at 120 miles per hour, hit off a man's elbow. Stop what you're doing right now and hit your elbow with your knuckles. It hurts. Now imagine a baseball doing that.)


The Cubs can't ever have anything nice.

I nearly cried when I saw the news flash on ESPNews. I hadn't seen the highlights, but if it's important enough for ESPNews to flash their "breaking news" over the message, I knew it wasn't good.

I guess we (and by "we" I mean the Cubs) were lucky. Doctors said it was only a compression fracture and already he was playing catch with the trainers. There's no time table for his return, but if the Cubs are going to have any hope whatsoever of making the playoffs, a healthy Mark Prior will be the key.

Weekend update: Well, you've already read about my wine tasting evening (if you haven't, keep scrolling down) on Friday. On Saturday, we went to have dinner with some friends and then played cards. (If you don't play spades, this next part may bore you . . . feel free to skip it, I won't mind). Matt and I were down 433 to -36 in a game to 500. However, though a series of fortunate events that could not have turned out any more perfectly, we managed to come back to win by a 536 to 308 score.

Fantasy update: Catherine Zeta-Jones still hasn't called me, but in other Fantasy News, the Fighting Squirrels had a stellar week, winning 8-4 in one league and 12-4 in the other. The Fighting Squirrels are now in fifth and sixth place with plenty of time to make a move.

What I'm watching: Women's softball on ESPN (come back Wednesday for Yes Dear's sure fire method of picking the winning team)
On my radio: ESPN Radio
On deck: My Wednesday Rant about going to the grocery store.