Wednesday, June 29, 2005

What did I do to offend the Big Guy upstairs?

I don't get out as much as I'd like. I think it's because going out ususally involves an outflow of cash and being that I am currently living off of a Bob Cratchet salary with that income supplemented by a wife in Grad School, well, let's just say fine china isn't atop our list of weekly purchases.

So with the lack of financial income, Yes Dear and I are forced to be a little more creative with our outings. Since I'm a fairly large sports fan (large in the sense that I like sports a lot, not large in the "wow Luke, you should lose about 30 pounds before your heart explodes" kind of way), we end up going to a lot of Georgia Southern sporting events (as a student, she get's in free, and I'll ususally just get season tickets . . . my one big expendature for each quarter). Unfortunately, unless we want to go watch a bunch of high school kids at the various sports camps around campus, we're out of luck when it comes to going to sporting events in the summer.

So recently, we've started doing the next best thing. We've actually started playing sports . . . well, actually it's just one sport, tennis, and "playing" may be stretching the defintion of the word, it's more like hitting the ball back and forth with no score or competition.

Well, because of our work and class schedules (not to mention her work on her thesis . . . I can't wait for her to finish that!), we've unfortunatley been relegated to once a week for tennis. We were going to go on Sunday, but she had a meeting that was cancelled at the last minute and by that point, I'd resigned myself to a night on the couch, so we didn't go then.

Big mistake.

You see, for the past two days, I think God has been having second thoughts about the whole "Not destroying the earth with a flood again" promise he made back in the day. Granted, it hasn't been raining extremenly hard, but it really hasn't stopped during the day on Monday or Tuesday.

Tuesday night around 8:30, it looked like it had cleared up enough that we might get to go play, but soon after we got in the car, rain drops began falling like . . . well . . . rain.

So I've been cooped up in my apartment for the past two days, except when I go to work, where because of the rain and the fact that 98 percent of the people I interview for stories have been at a conference all week, I've basically been inside for 48 hours straight.

I can't take it any more. I don't see how people in Seattle or Great Britian live like this. It's rainy, gray and generally miserable, and it's only been two days. I'm pretty sure if I don't get outside to do something soon I'm going to drive myself "Tom Cruise Crazy" (I think it's only a matter of time before that becomes an officially recognized form of mental illness.)

Eventually God will make it stop raining, right? Please.

Link of the week (that may intrest only me): If I'd known this, I'd have had more dates in high school.

Cubs Update: A 2-0 win over the pesky Milwuakee Brewers Tuesday night. Kerry Wood returns to the mound today. Things are looking up for the Cubbies.

On Deck: One of two things, either a running diary of the greatest reality show ever created (if I can find the time to do that) or something else.
Next Update: Friday