Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Confessions (Part II)

Frequent visitors to the Nexus of the Universe may be wondering where confession number one was and what I confessed to. Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there was no confession number one. Instead, I'm making a concerted effort to try to title my blog entries after song titles (I know how much some of you enjoyed the whole "Stacey's Mom" blog entry and commented on how much you liked having that song stuck in your head for the rest of the day, so I thought I'd try to make that a running theme . . . by the way, I'm putting the over/under on this trend at five entries, place your bets at the window.)

I never set out to be a homewrecker. When I took my wedding vows, I meant them. I'm pretty sure I said something about "forsaking all others" at some point, but to be honest, I was kind of distracted by the redhead in the second row (that's a joke, please don't tell Yes Dear I wrote that, for some reason she doesn't find it humorous when I make light of our wedding vows).

I also need to say that I like my friends and their wives. They're good people, that's why they're my friends. And I like their wives. In fact, I was friends with them as well. On my desk at work is a picture of Yes Dear and myself and two other couples when we were all dating. Now, all of us are married to the people in the picture. In other words, we've been friends for a while and I don't want to ruin any of those relationships.

But, it appears, I may have unwittingly attributed to the strife in a few relationships.

As you probably know (unless you're skipping over my "Fantasy Update" segments, in which case you don't know), I do the whole fantasy sports thing. For a while, my friends resisted playing, either out of fear of not knowing enough about the sport or the fact that we didn't have a space for them in the league at the time.

However, in the summer of 2002, several of us got together at a friend's house for an after party following a wedding when I asked to borrow the Internet for a while to check on the status of my fantasy guys.

Well, a few of the guys there wanted to see what I was doing and seemed genuinely intrigued by the idea of fantasy sports. Unfortunately, at that point in the season, it was to late to start a new league.

The next spring, however, six of us formed a fantasy baseball league. Now if you know anything about fantasy baseball, you know that six people is not enough for a league. Essentially, every player has an all-star caliber player at every position on the roster, which is fun, but there's really not a lot of strategy involved.

This year, we managed to rope eight people into playing, which is just enough that you're not wondering who the backup catcher for the Devil Rays is, but you have a decent player at most positions and you actually need to follow the season if you want to have any chance of winning.

Therein lies the problem here. A few of my friends have, shall we say, gone off the deep end when it comes to fantasy baseball, spending upwards of five hours a day tinkering with their teams. If they were single, this wouldn't be a problem. However, for some crazy reason, the guys wives want to be around them and spend time with them.

I can't help but think that if it wasn't for me, they wouldn't be playing fantasy sports and would be spending time with their lovely wives instead of scanning the available free agents to see if there's a guy who could get them three more steals each week.

So there you have it. I inadvertently became a homewrecker, though I've managed to do it from the comforts of my own home and without putting my own marriage in jeopardy.

(And you're probably wondering to yourself, "how does Luke pull off operating his fantasy squads without his wife getting mad at him?" It's simple. While home is the place for last minute fantasy changes, the hard core fantasy research needs to be done at work, unless any of my superiors read this, in which case I stay up until 2 or 3 a.m. doing fantasy research because the company's time is not the time to take care of personal matters. It's a time for work. Laughter and fun has no place at work.)

Link of the Week: Everyone loves Kool-Aid

Cubs Update: A rain out today, but we've lost six straight and badly need a win.

On Deck: Something non-sports related . . . maybe.
Next Update: Friday