Friday, August 26, 2005

Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

Admit it, you forgot all about Rockapella until just now, didn't you?

I watch a lot of television. I mean a LOT of television. From sports to sitcoms to my aforementioned love of Law & Order, I really watch an awful lot of television.

What that also means, however, is that I see a lot of commercials. Some, I enjoy, especially the Vonage commercials (you know "woo woo, wo woo woo" while they show someone doing something stupid. Good times.) Some, I detest, including smiling Bob and his enzyte ads (and any other prescription drug ad. I can't buy it, why are you advertising to me?)

But perhaps thee commercial that's caught my attention recently have been the T-Mobile commercials (and not just because Catherine Zeta-Jones is in them, but that's a definite plus.) What amazes me about that commercial is that the store she's in is perhaps the most confusing store in the world. Go with me on this.

In one ad, two guys are locked in a freezer and refuse to use their cell phone to call for help because he'll use up all his minutes. Later, his buddy knocks him over the head with a frozen hunk of meat and, presumably calls for help. In another ad, a guy is being held hostage, tied up to a chair, and refuses to talk, so the hostage takers begin making calls on his cell phone in an attempt to force him to talk.

While those aren't bad premises for a commercial, especially if you're selling a wireless plan. But something doesn't add up. At the end of the freezer commercial, the two guys are in the T-Mobile store with ice chips still frozen on them. Where is there a freezer in the T-Mobile store? Shouldn't they have gone to the hospital first to be checked out before shopping for cell phones? And why are they there together? If I ever get locked in a freezer with someone who refuses to use their cell phone to call for help, I'd never spend another minute with that person in my life.

In the hostage commercial, the guy tied up in the chair is wandering around the store looking at cell phones, still tied to the chair. Either there are hostage takers in the back room that no one seems concerned with or the hostage's priorities are screwed up and getting a new cell phone is more important than finding someone to set him free from the chair.

Yes, yes, I know. I should spend more time being productive, perhaps even reading some of those "books" I've heard about. But then I wouldn't be able to write about T-Mobile commercials.

Apology update: Sorry I didn't post on Wednesday like I'd planned. Yes Dear told a friend she could spend the night on Wednesday and in the interest of staying married, I didn't think it would be a good idea to go into our guest room while our female guest was sleeping and start blogging. It wouldn't look good.

Weekend plans: We've got some friends from college coming to visit this weekend, so that'll be fun. I also have the first of my three fantasy football drafts on Saturday afternoon.

Exercise update: On days when I have to work late, I've been going to our local park and walking about 2.4 miles. Fortunately it's somewhat cool out. Hopefully I'll get up to three times a week.

Big Brother update: Both Yes Dear and I had to work Thursday night and missed it, so if anyone (ahem . . . Alison, I'm looking your direction) would like to bring me up to speed, I'd appreciate it.

On Deck: The greatest story ever told (you'll want to tune in for this, I promise.)
Next update: Monday.