Saturday, September 03, 2005

Saturday Night's alright (For Fighting)

I know, I know. I said the next update was coming Wednesday. I didn't do it. Sorry. To make up for it, here's a special Saturday post.

Well, today was the first real Saturday of the college football season, or as Yes Dear likes to think of it as, the day that kicks off a four-month struggle for my attention. I'll be the first to admit that it's sad that she feels like she has to fight for my attention with a football game between two school's I've never attended (she understands, and likes, Georgia Southern games. It's the other 300+ schools that play intercollegiate football that she doesn't like.)

Fortunately for me, Yes Dear was back in St. Augustine with her friends have a good time for a long Labor Day weekend, so I could watch all the games without being a bad husband.

Because I'm not in midseason form, I couldn't watch 12 straight hours of football and cut myself off at eight. This is why I don't drink. I think moderation is eight consecutive hours of football.

That said, I got to watch (and listen to) some pretty good games. I saw a thrilling win for Texas Christian over seventh-ranked Oklahoma. For those who don't know, Texas Christian's mascot is the Horned Frogs. I'm not sure how that is supposed to instill fear into the opponent or how they came up with that name, but I'm sure they had a good reason . . . or they were on drugs. Either way's fine with me.

My Georgia Southern Eagles rallied to win 41-38 in overtime against Northeastern in Boston. Why a college would name itself after a direction, I'm not exactly sure. I realize both Boston College and Boston University were taken, but was a directional name third on the list?

I was also able to catch some of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights against the Illinois Fighting Illini. Official Brother and I discussed the possible reasons Rutgers decided to add Scarlet to their mascot's name and as best we can figure, it was named after an adulterous knight.

Because Georgia Southern's game wasn't televised, Official Brother and I listened to it on the radio. However, because we're both part of the video game generation (translation: demand visual stimulation at all times), we also were watching the Oklahoma-TCU game as well as the Rutgers-Illinois game. It was a virtual cornucopia of stimuli for our senses. Cheering one second, booing the next, trying to determine what was said the next. Add to that the regular trips to the kitchen for snack foods (a dietician would be appalled at my caloric intake on football Saturdays) and you've got a decent snapshot of my afternoon. (I never said I was interesting.)

After reading all that, I guess it's not hard to see why Yes Dear hates football season. So let's just keep today's events our little secret?

Cubs Update: The Cubs won today 9-5, but it's all but over for them. I'll still watch to see the young players we'll have on the team next year, but overall, it's been a disappointing season.

Big Brother update: There's only five houseguests left, and unfortunately, I don't really like any of them. Forced to choose, I'm pulling for either Howie or Janelle.

Work update: I'll tread lightly here, but a few weeks ago I was told I wouldn't have to work any more Thursday nights after August. So Monday, Yes Dear and I were discussing our weekly schedule and she'd planned to work that night because she thought I was working. I said I didn't have to work anymore and she said she'd rearrange her work schedule to be off Thursday since I'd be working Friday night and then she'd be leaving Saturday for a few days. Well, Tuesday afternoon, after she'd rearranged her schedule, chief Bossman comes and informs me that he needs me to work Thursday night. Because I'm not exactly in a position to say "no," I suck it up and do it. It just ticked me off that my schedule would be changed after making other arrangements.

Next post: We're aiming for Tuesday, but it could be later.