Friday, May 05, 2006

Home Sweet Home

I’d hoped to have my latest Statesboro Herald column ready by now to post, but I’m still tinkering with it.

So instead, I’ll break down and do what I hate doing, which is giving an update about my personal life. (I’d much rather write about some topic tangentially related to me. I consider myself a boring person, and I actually live my life, so I can’t imagine how boring it would be to read about my life.)

Anyway, as of tomorrow (Saturday,) it’s one month until Yes Dear and I move into el Casa De Martin That means we’re always looking for boxes to pack stuff in.

Moving is not my favorite thing to do. More than the money I saved, it was the thought of having to move my stuff that kept me living at home during college. While Yes Dear moved every year (which means I got to help her move, three times), I stayed in one place. (For those of you lacking the Luke-to-English translator, that means I was and am lazy.)

In fact, this move next month will be only the third time I’ve ever moved in my life, including the time when I was four and really didn’t know anything more than I got to ride on an airplane.

For those keeping track at home (for whatever reason), this upcoming move will mean I’ll have moved an average of once every nine years. And two of the three moves will be across town.

I’m really not sure where I’m going with this, other to say I hate lugging all the junk I’ve accumulated to a new place to be stored until we move again.

So unlike Scott and Alison, who have stories of cross-country moves and the adventures that go with that, I’ll have a busy Saturday afternoon that hopefully doesn’t conflict with any minor sporting event I’d like to watch.

On the plus side, some college friends are moving to the area the week before, so we’ll have four extra hands helping us move. Granted, the weekend before, we’re helping them move, but it seems like a fair trade off.

With any luck, I’ll finish my latest column early next week (hopefully Monday) and I’ll post it here for you to not read while you’re skipping ahead for the Fantasy Update.

Weekend Plans: It’s graduation day at Georgia Southern on Saturday. What does that mean for me? It means I can get a haircut without waiting in line. (Good times.) Other than that, I’ve got nothing on my agenda. If you’ve got any suggestions as to how I could spend my weekend, please let me know.

House update: Cabinets are in. Carpet and tile are next. Still no cable in our den and it turns out it wasn’t a smoke detector over where our television should go, but the doorbell. Whatever it is, it hasn’t bee moved yet. I’m less than pleased.
Work Update: When suggesting weekend plans, please know that I’ve got to be at work at 6 a.m. (that’s in the morning. I know you know that, but I wanted to reiterate it for emphasis) to see members of the Georgia National Guard arrive home from Iraq. I’m not looking forward to it. On the plus side, I don’t have to work this weekend.

American Idol Update: Paris was finally voted off, giving us the final four of Elliot, Chris, Katherine and Taylor. The most talented singer is Elliot, but I think Chris will end up winning the competition. The talent level is kind of dissapointing this season.

Coming next week: My latest column and thoughts on my 10-year high school reunion, which is coming up next year. And, if I get enough time, why I could never be a sports reporter.

This post is brought to you by the Nexus of the Universe and is intended solely for the private, non-commercial use of our audience. Any reproduction, retransmission or other use of the pictures, descriptions of the account of this game without the expressed, written consent of the Nexus of the Universe is strictly prohibited.