Friday, September 09, 2005

Help!

If you don't know who sang "Help!" please stop reading now, go educate yourself about the Beatles, and come back later. That is all.

In reading various stuff about the Cubs, I stumbled across this by accident. However, it has since changed my life for the better.

It's the 12 steps to happiness for Cubs fans.

1. Admit we are powerless over the Cubs winning the World Series in our lifetimes.
Despite my belief that if things are going well in a game, I don't move from my seat, I've come to believe that my actions usually don't impact the game.

2. Have come to believe that giving up hope of the Cubs winning a pennant can restore us to sanity.
Me, sane?!? Even if they do win, I'll still lack sanity.

3. Make a decision to enjoy the Cubs one day at a time.
This is easy, until the lose the game. Then it's frustration, frustration and more frustration.

4. Take an inventory of all the suffering that has befallen us as Cubs fans.
That would be a mass publication of many volumes.

5. Admit to ourselves and others that following the Cubs is a lifelong painful commitment.
No one told me about the Cubs futility when I was eight. Oh well, only about 50 years left until my painful commitment is over.

6. We are entirely ready to stop our pain!
I'll do what I can to make it better. Just please, take away the pain.

7. Humbly ask for help if we choose to remain a Cubs fan.
I may need you to deal with random Cubs rants from time to time, I ask that you remain patient as I deal with my affliction.

8. Make a list of why we should believe in the Cubs.
Ummm . . . Because there's a higher power that eventually will end this cruel hoax?

9. Admit to ourselves and others that it's only a game.
Only a game that I pour myself into every season only to be disappointed. (I'm not doing well with Step Nine.)

10. Continue to reinforce our decision to love the Cubs, win or lose.
I will not abandon my team. I will not abandon my team.

11. Seek other means of enjoying the Cubs outside of Wrigley Field.
Since I don't live in Chicago, this one's easy.

12. Spread the word that smiles will return to our faces -- NEXT YEAR !
Ah, spring, when a young man's heart turns to baseball.

Weekend plans: Georgia Southern plays their first home game of the year at 6 p.m. I'll be there cheering on the Eagles. I also plan to watch Michigan/Notre Dame at noon and Texas Ohio State when I get back from the Eagles' game. I'll also watch Big Brother and then on Sunday, watch the NFL all day long as week one of the season begins. The Cubs also come on at 4 p.m. on Sunday, so I'll watch them as well. (Yes Dear's approved the Michigan/Notre Dame viewing as well as Texas/Ohio State, but only if we watch Big Brother as well, which is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.)

Exercise update: I went walking this morning, played tennis on Wednesday.

Mini-fantasy update: I had my fantasy football draft yesterday and think I did pretty well. We'll see. (sorry guys, no picture this week).

On Deck: The first week of Fantasy Football as well as the first round of fantasy baseball playoffs.
Next Update: Monday