Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Don't Stop Believing

For reasons unbeknownst to me, the White Sox have adopted Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" as their theme song.

I'll admit it. I'm a failure as a blogger. I missed both my Monday and Tuesday deadline and I'm essentially missing my Wednesday deadline as I'm going to post some quick thoughts about the World Series.

However, I promise you, eventually I'll find the time to adequately address the Dancing Outlaw. (What's the Dancing Outlaw, you ask? Well, only the most finely crafted documentary about a hillbilly tap dancer from the hills of West Virginia that has been produced in the past 15 years. And I know your follow up question as well . . . why were you watching a documentary about a tap dancing hillbilly? Well, for the answer to that, as well as my take on the best 45 minutes of film I've seen this year, you'll have to wait until I can create a coherent post about it.)

So now, with the White Sox up three games to none in a best of seven series, here's what I've noticed so far.

1. Tim McCarver is the worst color commentator in the history of televised sports. For someone played the game for several years and who watches as much baseball as anyone else in the country, McCarver seems to have a very poor grasp of the game. Either that or he has trouble communicating what he's thinking to the viewing public. Websites have been dedicated to the eradication of Tim McCarver from the airwaves. Even Yes Dear will hear his say something and look at me with the "there's no way he's a professional broadcaster" look on his face. FOX would have been better hiring George Costanza as a commentator (It was one of his dreams, but unfortunately, as Jerry told him, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people who are, you know, in broadcasting, to which George responds "That's really not fair.")

2. I hope the FOX executive who approved Scooter, the talking baseball that explains to kids what different pitches are, has been strung up by his toes and used as a piƱata at the FOX Christmas party. Scooter should be on his (imaginary) knees and thanking the baseball gods that McCarver still works for FOX. Otherwise, the wrath of angry baseball fans would be directed at this little, digitized ball. My favorite thing about Scooter is that the first time FOX ever used him, it was at 10:45 at night, meaning most of the target audience was already in bed. Yep, those guys at FOX really know what they're doing.

3. White Sox catcher A. J. Pierzynski looks like that guy from college who you would go out with for a good time and when you got arrested, he would sell you up the river. He has that look in his eye that he'd be more than happy to push you down the stairs (my replacement phrase for the vastly overused "throw you under the bus") if it would help him get ahead. I can only hope that his wife dumps him, loses 15 pounds, gets implants and shows up at Spring Training dating the backup catcher for the Sox. If any of you have a direct link to the baseball gods, see if you can make this happen.

4. This year's World Series may go down as the lowest rated series of all time. Part of the problem may be the tennis-match that was Game 3. (I refuse to call something a marathon game because most marathon winners finish in less than 2 hours and 15 minutes. Tennis matches, meanwhile, have been known to last four or more hours. Game 3 went 5 hours and 41 minutes, enough time for two-and-a-half marathons.) The game didn't end until 2:20 in the a.m. I made the mistake of curling up under the covers in bed at 11:30 to watch the end of the game. By 12:30, I was struggling to keep my eyes open. By 1:15, I'm pretty sure I was asleep. Fortunately, the home run call from Joe Buck woke me up at 2:15 to see the replay and catch the last bit of the game. By the way, if it weren't for the 32 oz. Mountain Dew, you wouldn't be reading this right now. In fact, if it weren't for the sweet, sweet nectar of the gods that is caffeine, I would be coming up with an excuse as to why I wasn't at work today.

5. You may not have heard, but the Simpson's Tree house of Horror is November 6. (FOX has felt the need to remind us every commercial break for the past month. At this point, I don't plan on watching out of spite.)

Belated Fantasy Update: Much like my fantasy teams, I struck out this week in the hopes that Cobie Smolders (who plays Robin on "How I Met Your Mother") would call me. The Fighting Squirrels, meanwhile, lost in both leagues, falling 75-73 in one league while falling 77-73 in the other league. If things don't improve, we'll be making some staff changes in the Squirrels front office.

Belated Weekend Update: It was homecoming at Georgia Southern, so several of my college friends all converged on Statesboro for a good time. Granted, I got about 11 hours of sleep Friday and Saturday night combined, but it was worth it. After everyone left Sunday afternoon, I went to my parents were we all watched Dancing Outlaw together. A good time was had by all.

Desperate Housewives update: Due to the World Series, I didn't watch Desperate Housewives this week. If anyone can give me an update on what happened, I would greatly appreciate it.

World Series related link of the week: Ever wondered why the Red Sox and White Sox spell their names the way they do? Wonder no more.

Thesis update: Yes Dear finished all the writing on her Thesis Tuesday night and is currently working on her presentation for the committee. If all goes well next Tuesday when she defends her thesis (I've recommended going with a zone defense), the Corona's in my refrigerator won't be there after Tuesday night.