Monday, September 26, 2005

Theme from "Reading Rainbow"

Butterfly in the sky I can go twice as high Take a look It's in a book A Reading Rainbow
I can go anywhere Friends to know And ways to grow A Reading Rainbow
I can be anything Take a look It's in a book A Reading Rainbow A Reading Rainbow


I don't read much. I take that back, I read quite a bit, but no one counts blogs, websites and magazines as actual reading. Instead, the reading elite among us don't count such writings as worthy to be discussed.

No. Instead, they want to know what books you've read. As though binding pages together into a hardbound edition makes it more worthwhile than some glossy pages with three staples holding them together and some post-card-sized renewal notices inside.

So every now and again, I'll actually pick up one of these "so-called" books and read it to appease the intellectuals who ask "what's the last book you've read?"

For now, my answer to that is Deception Point by Dan Brown. You might know Brown from his more popular novel "The Da Vinci Code." (By the way, I've read they're going to change the movie of The Da Vinci Code to make it less offensive . . .but in doing so they would deviate so far from the novel it wouldn't be close to the same. It'd be like doing a Where are they Now on the cast Save by the Bell and ignoring Showgirls.)

However, I recently got "Now I Can Die in Peace" by Bill Simmons. He's better known as "The Sports Guy" on ESPN.com.

His book is actually a collection of his columns that he's written from 1997 though last year detailing his love affair with the Boston Red Sox. Granted, I've probably read everything he's written online since 2001, so only half of the book will be new, but it's interesting to see his feelings on certain players and how they changed over the years. Plus, he's by far the funniest sports writer on the face of the earth.

The problem with reading a collection of columns by someone successful is that I realize just how bad a writer I am. (I've also read Tony Kornheiser's "I'm Back for More Cash" a collection of columns he's written.) I guess it's not fair to compare myself to highly successful columnists. But in reality, it is fair. They have the same language at their disposal that I do. It's not like they have words to choose from that I don't. They're just better at it than me.

See what happens when I read, I get depressed about my own career. I was better off playing Playstation2 than reading.

Darn intellectual elite with your books.

Fantasy Update: Just so Yes Dear feels included in this blog every now and again, Nomar still hasn't called her (by the way, I believe this Sports Illustrated photo is the reason my wife likes baseball today. I'm glad it was on top of the magazine stack when she came to visit my parents' house). Anyway, the Fighting Squirrels are trailing 11-5 in our fantasy baseball championship, but it's a two-week title game, so I've still got a shot. In football, the Squirrels are trailing 51-43 in one league and leading 117-97 in the other. . . all leading to
What I'm looking for tonight (not involving Yes Dear) I need the Chief's Priest Holmes to score at least one touchdown and have a decent game to give me the win. In the other league, all I need is Denver's kicker to not set the NFL record for 50-yard field goals in a game and I'll win.

Georgia Southern update: After losing two straight games, the Eagles cruised to a 48-10 win over UT-Chattanooga.

Weekend update: Yes Dear was gone at a conference Saturday and Sunday, so I did what any self-respecting sports fan would do . . .I overdosed on football. Good times indeed.

Desperate Housewives update: I was disappointed with the outcome of the whole Susan-Zach hostage thing, and I'm still sad that Rex is dead. But the new couple down the street with the guy in the basement, that seems interesting. Overall, a solid beginning to the new season.

Posting update: I'm thinking of cutting back to two posts a week (Monday and Friday) to devote more time to them and hopefully make them better. And after reading Now I can Die in Peace, I may be more Cubs-centered, but I'll do my best to make you non-sports fans actually want to read.

Until then, take care of yourself, and each other.