Saturday, September 23, 2006

The need for feed

Note: the following is a work in progress I'll be tinkering with it for a while. It’ll publish on the day the Herald’s redesigned website launches.

Also, coming Monday (hopefully), my super Fantasy recap to get you up to date on all the fantasy news of mine that you really didn't care about. Sorry I've been gone so long, but it's good to be back.

I have a confession to make.

I like to eat. I do it on a regular basis. In fact, there are times I eat two, three or four times a day.

Some may say I'm addicted, and I think they're right. I eat everyday. I can't help it.
Making matters worse is that I've surrounded myself with enablers. Yes Dear cooks delicous meals for me. My Parental Units invite us over to eat with them. Friends call and want to go out to eat.

Even my job enables my behavior by sending me to cover luncheons and other events where food is served.

So why bring this up?

Because my job is putting me in a position where I may finally have to break my food addiction cold turkey. (Yeah, I went for the obvious joke. I'd like to appologize for writing that. Hopefully the rest of this column gets better.)

Today, the Statesboro Herald is launching a redesigned website that will hopefully make it easier for everyone to navigate and find what they're looking for.

We're also adding blogs (web logs) for our reporters where we're free to write about pretty much anything we want.

This freightens me more than people dressed up in bunny costumes.

Putting a person in front of their company's website and telling them to put their thoughts on the screen is a recipie for disaster.

Heck, it's borderline entrapment. If I'm having a bad day and sit down to blog about it, I'm liable to post something that would get me fired.

And if I get fired, I can pretty much kiss my food habit good bye.

So with that in mind, my blog on our website is giong to be bland, to say the least.

Below are just a few of the light-hitting topics I plan on tackling with my blog:

‰ Statesboro Herald Editor Jim Healy: Great boss or greatest boss? (Yes, I stole that from Stephen Colbert, but it applies to my boss as well.)

‰ Statesboro Herald Publisher Randy Morton: Legend or diety?

‰ Cuter animal: Puppies or kittens?

‰ peanut butter or jelly: the world's greatest debate.

‰ Tulips or roses: which will make Yes Dear happier today?

‰ Where do I recommend going out to eat? (Ok, I'll give you a glimpse of my answer to this one. Go eat at any restaurant that advertises with us and boycott the rest until they start running ads in our paper. After all, I'm nothing if not a company man.)

Obviously the blog will be a work in progress and I'm sure there are innumerable topics to tackle.

The important thing is I don't say anything controversial. If it turns out more of you think puppies are cuter than kittens, then I'll agree with you, the customer. If you think Randy
Morton is a god among men, I'll sing in that choir.

After all, I've got make sure I can eat.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go ask our advertising manager where I should go to lunch.

(Note, feel free to suggest your own innocuous topics I could write about on my work blog.)