Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday Night &$^#*ing Lights

(Note: the following is a rant, pure and simple. I hate writing about what’s going on in my life and would rather tackle some various topics, but sometimes you just have to vent. Sorry for the second rant in as many weeks. Maybe this will get it out of my system)

So here I am, late Friday afternoon, stuck at work. Normally, I wouldn’t mind so much, but today, I’m ticked off.

As you may recall, I’m working Friday nights for the publication-that-shall-not-be-named for their extensive coverage of high school football (that’s another rant, maybe when I’m done with this, I’ll tackle that issue.)

It’s generally boring work for most of the night. I can generally get everything set up by 8 p.m. and then I’m just waiting. Waiting for games to end. Waiting for reporters to write their stories. Generally having the worst Friday night imaginable.

But that was before I found out some new information.

Not every sports writer on the publication-that-shall-not-be-named is even working on Friday nights. That’s right, we’ve got a total of three people on the sports staff (one more than for the news staff, by the way) and one of them is getting every #&#^$ Friday night off.

I don’t hold this against her. She’s a fantastic writer and covers Georgia Southern football, so there would be times were it wouldn’t be feasible for her to cover a high school game Friday night and then drive to wherever GSU is playing to cover that game.

But the Eagles have seven (count them, SEVEN) home games this year. That’s seven Friday nights where this sports writer could do some sports writing on the biggest sports night of the week.

For reasons known only to chief bossman, she doesn’t have to.

I, on the other hand, am stuck spending every other Friday night sitting in the gray cubicle farm waiting for high school football games to end. In case you missed it earlier, one half of our news staff is spending his Friday’s covering for the sports department while an actual sports writer goes home.

It’s ridiculous. It’s absurd. It *(&# sucks.

I don’t understand the logic, if any, behind such a decision. As I said, on weekends when GSU has a road game, I can see the reasoning behind her not working. But every Friday?!?

Obviously I’m ticked off. I’d go talk to the boss, but at this point, I’m scared I’d say something that would lead to me not only not working on Friday nights, but not working at all.
So any suggestions from the faithful Nexus readers? Help me come up with a calm, rational approach to address my boss about this.